Monday, February 2, 2009

The Miniatures Queue

When I started collecting miniatures over 20 years ago, I was only 12 years old and did not have much disposable income. At the time I didn't have many friends into the hobby either (GW was still very new to the US at that time), so rather than play lots of games, I had the time to paint my miniatures.

But all too quickly, as I started working and therefore got some disposable income, my miniatures collection grew, and I fell into every wargamer's trap: the lure of buying a newly released miniatures frequently superseded my capacity to keep up with painting the miniatures I already had.

With time that has just gotten worse. Much worse. There is no end in sight. I think I am doomed to die a gruesome death, pinned beneath a mountain of unpainted minis stored in my basement.

As an attempt to motivate me to work through the sludge, and as a hedge against me succumbing to the temptation to buy more miniatures, I created a list. (I've noticed fellow bloggers doing something similar to motivate them to paint as well) This list consists of a large proportion of the miniatures that I have in my possession that as yet remain unpainted (or need to be repainted because I dislike my previous paintjob). It consists mainly of Battlefleet Gothic miniatures, 40k miniatures, and Lord of the Rings miniatures. I have a bunch of Fantasy and Epic 40k miniatures that I couldn't be bothered to add to the list just yet. Perhaps that will change down the line.

In the meantime, I've put up a counter on the right margin of my blog that is a reminder to me of just how many miniatures are currently in the painting queue. If I am diligent enough, hopefully the number will decrease with time.

7 comments:

eriochrome said...

400 is a pretty big number. I personally have about 300 unpainted blood bowl minis plus about 130 unpainted marines. I also have a problem with unassembled minis like my whole tyranid assault brood box.

Scott said...

Wow! 400. That's amazing. I have to say, I've alwyas been pretty good with not buying more than I really need. However, I do have a ton of CSMs in my closet that won't be gotten to until at least next year.

I've been thinking about doing a similar thing in the side bar on my blog. I'll definately keep an eye on this to see it go down.

Admiral Drax said...

Solidarity, brother.

I'm a painfully slow painter and I decided to collect a horde army. Go figure.

- Drax.

suneokun said...

Certainly put my own list into context!! Still, glad I inspired an audit though. I'm amazed you have so many minitures unpainted when you have some inspirational models that are!!! It also inspires me to keep my own 'purchasing addiction' in check and not bite off more than I can brush...

jabberjabber said...

400, that sure is a lot! My wife would slaughter me...

lone pilgrim said...

I'm looking forward to seeing that total come down!

The Inner Geek said...

Wow, I'm a little late on this one, but I may have to do a count sometime soon. Reading your story about growing up with more time to paint than money to buy minis was like reading about myself. I too had that moment when 'growing up' meant having the money to buy more than I could paint and I just didn't slow down. I'm ashamed to think of what my number might be!